Three Music for Youth Prom concerts, traditionally held at London’s Royal Albert Hall each year, are the culmination of the Music for Youth season and showcase high-quality performances from some of the UK’s most creative, innovative and energetic young musicians. Massed Ensembles are one of the cornerstones of the Music for Youth Proms, and involve around half of each night’s 1000 young performers.
Through these large scale projects, Music for Youth is able to offer opportunities to an even wider range of young musicians and ability levels than those progressing through our annual Festival programme, supporting innovation, ambition and good practice and showcasing locally produced partnership work on a national stage.
Call for proposals!
Music for Youth invites proposals from music education providers and arts organisations across the country for large-scale performance projects which are currently planned for 2018/19, for inclusion in one of the three Music for Youth Prom concerts in November 2018.
What we would like to support
1. Innovation – e.g. repertoire approach, way of working, performance practice, use of technology
2. Collaborations between different groups (any age, between 4 and 21 years)
3. Good practice in teaching and learning, as demonstrated in the performance
4. Opportunities for young people to take part in something beyond their normal experience, meet young musicians they would not otherwise meet and work with artists they would not otherwise have had the opportunity to work with. We are interested in showcasing the work of a wide group of young people, not just the very best performers.
5. Audience development – active involvement in securing an audience for the performance
If you would like to propose a Massed Ensemble item, please send a short outline of your project using the application form (no more than two pages), taking account of the criteria and key facts outlined on our guidelines document and demonstrating how your project aligns with what we would like to support.
Project proposals should be emailed to: Kate Gardner, Head of Programmes, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 noon on Friday 29 September.. We will contact shortlisted organisations to arrange a telephone interview to discuss the details of your project during the week commencing 2 October.
Massed Ensemble 2018 projects will be confirmed by the end of October 2017, with partnership agreements signed off in early November.
Music for Youth welcomes submissions from partners we regularly work with, as well as from organisations who have not been involved in the Music for Youth Proms before.
We look forward to reading your proposals!