Jigsaw Jam, is a collection of short ensemble pieces for beginner instrumentalists. These can be played alone, or joined together in any order (like a jigsaw), to make one big piece.
The main piece is The Sky. This has parts for every instrument that is likely to be taught in a classroom or instrumental group. It can be performed with any combination of instruments along with a piano or backing track accompaniment.
The parts have been written as much as possible using the first three notes learned on each instrument. There is also a vocal part that can be added.
The other "pieces" that can be added to the "jigsaw" are for each instrumental section on their own (strings, woodwind, brass, recorders, pitched percussion, ocarinas, harmonicas, guitars and ukuleles). The pieces can be played from music, or learned by ear.
Jigsaw Jam can be played by any size of ensemble. It is a fun piece to celebrate the first achievement of learning an instrument.
Download Teaching Resources
- Alto Saxophone
- Baritone, Euphonium, Trombone (treble clef) in Bb
- Bass pizz.
- Cello pizz. or arco
- Clarinet in C
- Clarinet in Eb
- Clarinet, Trumpet or Cornet in Bb
- Descant recorder, Flute, Oboe, Harmonica, Melodica, Ocarina, Fife, Pitched Percussion, Accordian, Keyboard or Guitar
- Eb Tenor Horn, Tuba or Eb Bass
- Guitar Chords
- Guitar open strings
- Horn in F
- Mini-bassoon in G
- Tenor Saxophone
- Tenoroon in F
- Treble Recorder
- Trombone (bass clef)
- Ukulele open strings (C tuning)
- Viola pizz. or arco
- Violin arco
- Violin pizz.
For woodwind and recorders
Video Introduction & Performance
Download Jigsaw Jam Backing Tracks
Backing tracks are available in two versions. "Performance" is for ordinary play, whereas "Practice" is slower in tempo to aid learning.
- © Copyright 2012 Music for Youth / Kevin Mayhew Ltd.
- All scores are in provided in pdf format. A free pdf reader can be downloaded from: http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/.
- To download and save a pdf file to your your hard disk, right-click (Control-click on a Mac) the link for your chosen score, and select "Save Link As..."