(Click on keywords to find related News Items)
Supported by the Vivendi Create Joy Fund, MFY is piloting an exciting new Young Artist Development Programme for young musicians, aged 14-21 who write their own material.
We are particularly interested in musicians working with jazz, traditional, world, rock, pop, and urban music. This 10 month long programme will provide an opportunity to develop your musical writing style through collaborations with other young performers, working with and supported by experienced professional musicians, and to have your work performed in public on a national stage.
Working with a mentor who will stretch you creatively, they will support you in creating your own masterpiece!
What is Music for Youth?
MFY is a national youth music organisation with a 40 year history of providing performance opportunities for young musicians aged 21 and under across the UK through an annual season of festivals and concerts. The festivals showcase all styles of music performed by young people at all stages of their musical development, leading to high profile showcase events at leading concert venues, including London’s Royal Albert Hall, and Symphony Hall, Birmingham.
This new annual programme will be launched in July 2013, and provides a chance to develop your own work, drawing on a range of expertise from professional musicians and producers, supported by MFY. Successful applicants will be invited to draw up their own development plan, which will include the following components:
- Specialist mentoring from professional artist(s) appropriate to your music and learning style (face to face contact time, and virtual support)
- Attendance at composition based workshops by professional composers at MFY events
- A collaboration with a young performing group, supported and facilitated by your mentor
- A public performance of your music by the identified performing group
- Access to events in support of your development over the course of the year
- Finance to cover travel, accommodation and associated expenses (including those of an accompanying adult if appropriate)
- To work with MFY to devise and agree ten month development programme that will involve introductory and mid point meetings with your programme manager
- To sign a learning contract, with an agreed amount of contact time and attendance at development activities
- To provide regular updates/blogs etc. as required by MFY and Vivendi
Who is eligible?
- Young musicians/composers aged 14-21 who write their own material
- You must be willing to working collaboratively with another group of young performers as part the programme
- You can apply as an individual artist, or as a partnership of between 2-5 musicians
- Applications are welcomed from musicians working in jazz, traditional, world, rock, pop and urban genres
- You do not have to be able to read music to apply
- You must be available to attend launch activities at the MFY National Festival in Birmingham (4-6 July 2013)
- You / your partnership must be ‘sponsored’ by an adult who knows your work and circumstances
- Please complete the application form (available from www.mfy.org.uk/downloads/2013/YADP_Application_form.docx) and return to Dearbhaile (Dervla) Nairn at email@example.com by midday Friday 17 May 2013
- You need to provide a recommendation or reference from a personal ‘sponsor’ on the attached form. This must be submitted with your application
- A shortlist of musicians will be invited for an interview with Music for Youth (in person or by phone/Skype)
- Interviews will take place during the week commencing Monday 20 May
- Successful applicants will be notified by Friday 24 May